Request more information about the cobas® b 221.
Please complete the form below to speak with a Roche representative.
Designed to help provide virtually uninterrupted performance
Consistent, accurate, and timely results you can depend on
The cobas b 221 blood gas system: the first blood gas analyzer FDA-cleared for pleural fluid pH testing
Measuring pleural fluid pH is a clinically useful tool for diagnosing and managing patients with pleural effusions and can be especially important in critical care situations, when dependable performance is essential.
- About 1 million pleural effusions are diagnosed in the United States each year.1 Pleural effusions can be caused by2
○ Congestive heart failure
○ Pulmonary embolus
○ Coronary-artery bypass surgery
○ Cirrhosis with ascites
- Measurement of pleural fluid pH improves diagnosis, expedites therapy, and determines prognosis in many cases of pleural effusion of unknown cause3
- A study has shown blood gas analyzers are the most accurate method for pleural fluid pH testing4
The cobas b 221 blood gas system sets the gold standard for pleural fluid pH testing
- A study has shown blood gas analyzers provide accuracy unobtainable with a pH meter or pH indicator strip4
- The cobas b 221 blood gas system delivers results in 60 seconds for fast TAT and enhanced workflow efficiency
- Uniquely designed to handle viscous samples like pleural fluid without clogging the sample path
A study has shown blood gas analyzers provide accuracy unobtainable with a pH meter or pH indicator strip4 The cobas b 221 blood gas system delivers results in 60 seconds for fast TAT and enhanced workflow efficiency Uniquely designed to handle viscous samples like pleural fluid without clogging the sample path The cobas b 221 blood gas system is the benchtop analyzer uniquely designed to help provide consistent and timely results with virtually uninterrupted performance.
See the cobas b 221 in action
1. Light RW. Pleural diseases. Dis Mon. 1992;38(5):261-331.
2. Light RW. Pleural effusion. N Engl J Med. 2002;346(25):1971-1977.
3. Houston MC. Pleural fluid pH: diagnosic, therapeutic, and prognostic value. Am J Surg. 1987;154(3):333-337.
4. Bowling MR, Chatterjee A, Conforti J, Adair N, Haponik E, Chin R Jr. Perceptions vs. reality: measuring of pleural fluid pH in North Carolina. N C Med J.2009;70(1):9-13.
Delivering reliable service when it matters most
Key components of the cobas b 221 system
Consistent, accurate, and timely results you can depend on
1 Zero-maintenance electrodes
Break resistance electrodes that function for 6 to 15 months (depending on parameter) and eliminate the need to refill, or replace membranes/caps.
2 Input unit
Fill port accommodates patient samples from syringe or other common sample containers (capillary tubes, Roche MICROSAMPLER sampling device, or ampoules).
3 "Load-and-Go" reagents with smart chips
Easy access for changing reagents, tracking levels, and monitoring expiration dates.
4 Barcode scanner
Conveniently captures operator and patient identification to ensure the right operator is performing the right test.
5 AutoQC module
Easy management and access to lab grade quality AutoQC ampoules.
6 LCD touch screen
User friendly touchscreen that delivers an instant "snapshot" of the patient’s condition and the instrument status.
The cobas b 221 system does more automatically to help you comply with regulatory compliance.
Regulatory compliance made safe and simple.
Holds up to 40 days of QC and enables automatic lot-to-lot comparison for improved convenience, capacity, and compliance.
Electronic Quality Assurance Program (eQAP)
eQAP provides linearity and quality control peer performance data to help keep your facility regulatory compliant.
Smart reagent technology
- Reagent packs have smart chip technology
- Tracks fluid levels, installation, and expiration dates
- Allows reagent packs to be transferred to like analyzers
- Eliminates the need for barcode readings
Reagents designed to minimize downtime
- "Load-and-Go" reagents are stored at room temperature
- Long shelf life: 42-day onboard stability tracked by analyzer
- Economy mode minimizes reagent use while the analyzer is idle
Onboard AutoQC ampoules
- AutoQC ampoules can be used to run external QC from the same lot
- Ability to run QC reports whenever needed without interrupting workflow
Knock out the clots that can knock out your analyzer.
The cobas b 221 system’s specialized components helps minimize the downtime and troubleshooting associated with blood clots.
Four levels of clot protection help prevent delays:
- Clot catcher prevents most clots from entering the analyzer
- Clot sensors add another layer of protection by quickly locating clots that may enter the system, eliminating downtime and the need for troubleshooting
- The waste bypass redirects the blood sample to the waste system in rare situations when a clot blocks the sample pathway
- A powerful vacuum pump quickly removes clots in the system before they can halt your workday
cobas bge link software.
Maximize the control and efficiency of your blood gas environment.
Control your cobas blood gas systems remotely
- Monitor parameters, consumables and QC
- Perform troubleshooting and corrective action procedures remotely
- Take action with screensharing at any time or location as if you were in front of the analyzer
- Capture lab notes with event logs to simplify documentation
- Manage passwords and security levels from one location
Manage patient orders and results through the hospital web
- Receive patient orders from the EMR/HIS/LIS and monitor status from anywhere on the intranet
- Validate QC and patient results
- Send results and critical results notification directly via the web
For additional details view the cobas bge link software page
cobas® b 221 Blood Gas System Technical Specifications
|Blood gas module||Total specified range|
|pH||6.0 - 8.0|
|PCO2||4.0 - 200 mmHg|
|PO2||0 - 800 mmHg|
|Na+||20.0 - 250 mmol/L|
|K+||0.2 - 20 mmol/L|
|Ca2+||0.1 - 4.0 mmol/L|
|Cl-||20.0 - 250 mmol/L|
|Hct||10% - 80%|
|tHb||3 - 25 g/dL|
|SO2||50% - 100%|
|Glu||0.5 - 40 mmol/L|
|Lactic acid||0.2 - 20 mmol/L|
|Urea (BUN)||0.5 - 30 mmol/L|
|tHb-COOX||3 - 25 g/dL|
|O2Hb||0% - 100%|
|HHb||0% - 100%|
|COHb||0% - 100%|
|MetHb||0% - 100%|
|SO2 COOX||0% - 100%|
|Bilirubin (neonatal)||3 - 50 mg/dL|
|Barometric pressure (Baro)||450 - 800 mmHg|
|Calculated parameters||H+, cHCO3-, ctCO2(P), FO2Hb, BE, BEecf, BB, SO2, P50, ctO2, ctCO2(B), pHst, cHCO3-st, PAO2, AaDO2, a/AO2, avDO2, RI, shunt, nCa2+, AG, pHt, H+t, PCO2t, PO2t, PO2t, AaDO2t, a/AO2t, RIt, Hct(c), MCHC, BO2, BEact, osmolality, OER, heart minute volume (Qt), P/F index|
|Sample types||Whole blood, serum, plasma, dialysate, QC material|
|Industrial standard PC|
|Monitor||Built-in flat color TFT-LCD 10.4-inch screen (touchscreen)|
|Thermal printer||Built-in 111 mm, graphical capability|
|Bar code scanner||Standard accessory|
|Power rating||100 - 240V (+6% - 10% permission to tolerance), 200W, 50/60 Hz autoselecting|
|Ambient temperature||+15 to +31 C (59 to 89.6 F)|
|Relative humidity, not condensed||15 < T < 31 C: 20% - 85%|
|Built-in AQC||Automatic quality control system, with room for up to 120 QC ampoules|
|CE-conformity||IVD-Directive 98/79/EC (IEC 1010-1 / EN 61010-1 / EN 61010-2-101)|
|Width||< 51 cm|
|Height||< 59 cm (in operating situation)|
|Depth||< 60 cm (with power supply)|
|Weight (without solutions, without AutoQC)||45 kg|
|System calibration||Every 24 hours (programmable 8, 12, or 24 hours)|
|1-point calibration||Every 60 minutes (programmable 30 to 60 minutes)|
|2-point calibration||Every 12 hours (programmable 4, 8, or 12 hours)|
|Warm-up||Power on with calibration < 43 minutes
Power fail < 1 minutes < 2.5 minutes
|Maintenance frequency||Time required||Required maintenance|
|Weekly||3 - 5 minutes||
|Quarterly||5 - 10 minutes||
Outside of Pepper mode, this text will be replaced by the resource cards.
Outside of Pepper mode, this text will be replaced by the content added in the above "Contact a Rep HTML" code editor.
There are no available IVD assays for this instrument.